I was deploying a vCenter 6.x with a separate Platform Service Controller and a database, installation was not successful due to the “Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code ‘1603’. Check the logs for more details” error message.
In the middle of the installation it gave me an error message saying “An error occurred while starting the service ‘invsvc’” and rolled back the installation at the end.
Also, the same error appeared in couple of vCenter 6.0 Upgrades and this small change to the ODBC connection fixed the issue and led me to a successful vCenter 6.0 Upgrade.
In the installation this error message appeared at the very beginning.
At the end gave me the below error message
Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code ‘1603’. Check the logs for more details.
I was so frustrated and started to find a solution in the internet. There were few blog posts and couple of VMware KB articles similar to the error message and I did all the workarounds and non of them worked. Few of them asked to install the .Net framework 3.5, set the database permissions to sysadmin and dbowner etc. I tried all of them and I was not able find a solution to my problem.
I checked the installation error log (vminst) and found the below errors in the log.
I tested the ODBC connection to the Database server and it was successful and I was able to connect to the database without an issue.
In my domain environment forward and reverse lookup zones were working fine and I added the database instance with the “servername/sqlinstance” format. I changed the SQL server instance to “<IP_address/sqlinstance>” format as shown in the below screen capture and re-run the installation, I was surprised and it was successful without an issue at this time.
It was a simple change but had to spend my entire morning half to find the solution. So I thought to write this blog post and hope someone will find this as useful.
Error code ‘1603’ appeared in vCenter 6.0 Upgrades….
In some cases it was successful after using “<IP_ADDRESS>\” for the server in the ODBC connection.
This was encountered and tested in couple of vCenter 6.0 upgrades.
If you found this post as useful please rate the post and share it!