I wanted to configure a separate SQL server to do a vCenter migration and I was getting errors to connect to the DB server, I was able to fix this issue after doing some changes in the SQL server. Here, I thought to post the steps that I took to resolve the issue. I believe this post will help others who involved with the configuration and resolve these type of issues in the middle of their configuration without wasting more time on this.
I have installed a fresh SQL 2008 R2 server with the custom SQL instance (SQL Express instance name is not the default one). Installed the relevant SQL Native client and tried to connect to the DB Server. It was throwing the below error message
I did a search in the internet there were lots of different different post with the solutions. However this is how fixed this problem.
First of all we need to put the full sql server instance in the ODBC connection if you are changing the default one. It should be in the “SERVERNAMESQLINSTANCENAME” format.
After that logged in to the SQL server and enabled the “TCP/IP” and the “Named Pipes” Protocols in the “Sql Server Configuration Manager”
Next step, enabled the “SQL Server Browser” Service, it was in the disabled state and I have enabled and set to start Automatically.
After that I was able to successfully connect to the DB Server.