There are couple of applications are in place to get the resource utilization, operations handling, capacity review and for some other tasks in my day to day activities, we came up with few issues after we upgrade our old vCenters to vSphere 5.5 and we were not able to get the performance data of my VMware clusters through the vSphere APIs.
After doing some researches we found that there is a small parameter configuration to over come with this issue. Basically, my blog post is about VMware KB article 2107096. Here, I’m explaining the steps which we did the parameter configuration to fix my API issue.
This issue came in to the play as it is setting the limit of maximum performance metric database queries to a threshold of 64 in the vCenter. Symptom of this issue was when we were querying the data it was throwing an error saying “Request processing is restricted by administrator”. Let me show you the way of fixing this step by step, as I mentioned earlier this is following the VMware KB article 2107096.
Login to the vCenter, select the vCenter server and go to the “Manage” tab. Select the “Advanced Settings”. Add the parameter config.vpxd.stats.maxQueryMetrics and set the Value as -1. If this is already added you can see the parameter in the list.
Note: If you added the parameter incorrectly, you can remove the parameter form this file.
Edit the web.xml file
Navigate to the web.xml file located in C:ProgramFilesVMwareInfrastructureTomcatwebappsstatsreportWEB-INF
Find the maxQuerySize Parameter and Change the value from 64 to 0.
That’s all and I was able to pull the performance data through the APIs.