VMware vSphere 6.5: Next Gen Infrastructure for Modern Applications
- VMware vCenter Server® Appliance – will deliver a simplified building block for vSphere environments offering an easy to deploy and manage approach that reduces operational complexity by embedding key functionality into a single virtual appliance. The appliance will offer customers simplified patching, upgrading, backup and recovery, high availability and more, including a 2x increase in both scale and performance of their vCenter Server environments.
- REST APIs – will improve both the IT and developer experience by enabling greater control and automation of virtual infrastructure for modern applications via new REST-based APIs.
- VMware vSphere Client – based on HTML5, the new vSphere Client will simplify the administrative experience via a modern, native tool that meets the performance and usability needs and expectations of users for day-to-day operations.
- VM Encryption – new virtual machine-level encryption will protect against unauthorized data access safeguarding data at rest as well as virtual machines that are moved with VMware vMotion®.
- Secure Boot – new feature will prevent the tampering of images as well as the loading of unauthorized components into vSphere environments.
- VMware vSphere Integrated Containers™ – will allow IT operations teams to provide a Docker-compatible interface to their app teams enabling vSphere customers to transform their businesses with containers without re-architecting their existing infrastructure.
VMware Virtual SAN 6.5: Further Lowering TCO for Hyper-Converged Infrastructures
- iSCSI Support – will enable Virtual SAN storage to be presented as an iSCSI target for external physical workloads including clustered applications such as Microsoft SQL Server with Failover Clustering on a limited number of physical servers.
- Containers Support – Virtual SAN will provide persistent data layer for containerized applications via VMware vSphere Integrated Containers.
- Two-node Direct Connect – new functionality will eliminate the need for routers/switches between Virtual SAN systems in ROBO sites helping customers lower infrastructure costs by 15 to 20 percent per site
- REST APIs and Expanded PowerCLI – will help customers accelerate responsiveness with enterpriseclass automation that brings cloud-like flexibility and management to Virtual SAN environments
- 512e Hard Disk Drives and Solid State Drives (SSDs) – support for 512-byte emulated disk drives enables high-capacity drives to be supported
VMware vRealize: Enhances Ease of Use with Out-of-the-Box Support for Azure and Containers
VMware Cloud Services: New Hybrid Cloud Solutions for the Enterprise
VMware Adapter for SAP Landscape Management Version 1.4
New VMware Workspace ONE Essentials and Digital Workspace Innovations
Collaboration with Microsoft to Deliver Optimized Skype for Business Experience in Horizon
Photon Platform Introduces Kubernetes as a Service, New Networking and Storage Services
- Kubernetes as a Service – VMware Photon Platform will enable IT operations teams to deliver Kubernetes as a Service to developers in a multi-tenant fashion for workload isolation and security. Kubernetes clusters — which can be sized from single node clusters to hundreds of nodes — can be provisioned in minutes with developers being able to scale up their clusters as needed with no down time. The resilient VMware Photon Platform features high availability capabilities such as automatic healing from failures to reduce downtime of Kubernetes services. VMware provides end-to-end support of Photon Platform including a commercially-supported distribution of Kubernetes.
- Virtual Networks Powered by VMware NSX – Photon Platform will introduce network services based on the industry leading VMware NSX. Initially, the platform will provide switching and routing services. Over time, the platform will offer a complete set of logical networking elements and services. Learn more about VMware NSX.
- Hyper-converged Storage Powered by VMware Virtual SAN – Photon Platform will introduce block storage services featuring the industry-leading VMware Virtual SAN. This new service will offer flexible, programmable and proven persistent storage for containerized and cloud-native applications. The service will deliver elastic storage that scales up and out to enable rapid application deployment. Workloads will benefit from robust data services such as deduplication, stretched clusters, erasure coding and more. Built using a hyper-converged infrastructure model, Photon Platform offers customers a simplified hardware architecture that enables customers to scale-out their server and storage resources incrementally. Photon Platform will also connect to external NAS and SAN arrays. Learn more about VMware Virtual SAN.