Troubleshooting : Event ID 1000, 1105, 1827 – Windows based vCenter Server Connections keep dropping and Orphaned VMs

Troubleshooting : Event ID 1000, 1105, 1827 – Windows based vCenter Server Connections keep dropping and Orphaned VMs
I had this experience while I was working in one of my client’s VMware 5.5 environment. In this environment there are four VMware ESXi hosts which are managing by a Windows based vCenter Server.
Issue was experiencing couple of days ago and suddenly vCenter Server came up with several issues. The connection was keep disconnecting after connecting to the vCenter server from vSphere Client or Web client.


Sometimes vCenter Windows service is suddenly stop an we had to manually start the service, but there was no luck. Getting the same error and connection was keep disconnecting. Even though I was connected to the vCenetr I could see all the VMs as Orphaned.

I have done a quick Windows Event log analysis and I could identify this issue caused due to the cumulative MSSQL DB size of the vCenter, This environment was built using the default configuration of the vCenter 5.5 Installation and selected Database is MSSQL 2008 Express edition.
I could identify below event log entries in the Windows Application logs.
  • Event ID : 1000 – The description for Event ID 1000 from source VMware VirtualCenter Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
  • Event ID : 1105 – Could not allocate space for object ‘dbo.VPX_HOST_VM_CONFIG_OPTION’.’PK_VPX_HOST_VM_CONFIG_OPTION’ in database ‘VIM_VCDB’ because the ‘PRIMARY’ filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.
  • Event ID : 1827 – CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 10240 MB per database.
From this analysis you can simply identify this licencing setup allows you to keep 10240 MB of cumulative database size for this vCenter and it caused the issue.

In my case I did not have SQL Management Studio installed on my vCenter server and I had to download the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Management Studio Express and install it on the vCenter Server.

NOTE : Prior to do any modification on the VMDB make sure to stop the vCenter Windows Service


  • I have logged in to my vCenter SQL Server instance from the Management Studio



  • Once I’m connected Expanded the “VIM_VCDB” Database and the “Tables” Folder


  • Selected the “dbo.VPX_PARAMETER” and right click on it, selected the “Edit Top 200 Rows”


  • Once I opened the Table I have done the changes to the below Entries
    • event.maxAge  – 180 to 30  (default value is 180 – in days)
    • event.maxAgeEnable – “false” to “true”
    • task.maxAge – 180 to 30 (Default is 180 days – in days)
    • task.maxAgeEnable – “false” to “true”
  • I moved to the Stored Procedures under “Programmability”


  • Expanded the Stored Procedures and Selected the “dbo.cleanup_events_tasks_proc” Stored Procedure.


  • Right click on it and select the “Execute Stored Procedure..”


  • Once you get the “Execute Procedure” Window Click on “OK” to start the execution. This will take sometime and time will depends on your DB size,


  • Once the Execution Process completes We can see the results as below


  • Restarted the vCeneter Server Service
  • Logged in to the vCenter using vSphere Client and Web console …. It’s working now! Issue has been resolved .


Thank You for viewing my post….!!!


Click to rate this post!
[Total: 3 Average: 5]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *