I was testing some core server configurations in my lab and I came across an issue while I was transferring windows 2012 core server to 2012 GUI.
Here I would like to share the steps that I have taken to resolve this issue with few steps. You can see complete core server configuration post later in TECHCRUMBLE, so keep reading my posts.
Here I’m not going to discuss the purpose of having a core server in your environment. I just directly dig in to the issue and I will show you the steps that I have tacken.
You can transfer your core server to full GUI by using below command, what it actually does is install two windows features in to your cmd based core.
Enter below commands in your cmd/Powershell to install these two windows features.
- Type “Import-Module ServerManager” command in your Powershell and press “Enter”
- Type “Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell -Restart” and press “Enter” on your Keyboard.
- Unfortunately I ended up with the below error message, here I would like to mention I have installed this server directly as a Windows Core server and I did not transfer from the GUI mode.
- Basically this error message says “It is unable to download the source files to continue the installation”. By default these feature installation files are located at “C:/Windows/WinSxS” folder. To resolve this issue you can mount this WinSxS folder manually to the above command to continue the installation.
- First of all I’m going to create a Mounting folder under C: drive and mount the “WinSxS” folder
- Type “mkdir c:Mountdisk” – Here MountDisk is a folder name which I have chosen in my case, you can choose this name as your choice.
- Now attach the ISO file in to your CD-ROM (D: drive in my core server) and run “dism /mount-wim /wimfile:d:sourcesinstall.wim /index:4 /mountdir:C:MountDisk /readonly” command in your Powershell window.
- If you successfully performed this command you can see that the progress of the Mounting Image process
- Wait until it completes the Mounting Process
- Now perform the above feature installation command with the source of “WinSxS” folder, type “Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra, Server-Gui-Shell -restart -source C:MountDiskWindowsWinSxS” and hit “Enter” to continue.
- After installing the features server will restart to finish the installation
- Once the reboot completes the installation, You’re almost done.
- Login to the Server and see your Windows Server 2012 with GUI now.
Hope this helps you to fix your Problem….